Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Weekly Challenges and a Travelling Tangles Reboot


"Amanda Day"
favorite organic patterns

The Diva is back this week with her 7th Earth Day Challenge and it couldn't have come at a better time!

recycled bits and pieces

a piece of cardboard 
and
found bookmarks

I'm in the beginning phases of what I hope will be a massive overhaul/re-organization of my art supplies, mixed media bits, journaling supplies and works-in-progress/abandonned art  so I can more efficiently get on with my "Just Use It" campaign. I'm going all mixed media on everything I can.
I found my little box of pre-painted tiles and ATC's which included the cardboard tile  that I'm pretty sure I made for last years challenge. I also have a bunch of bookmarks I've collected from my cafe over the years. One of my neighbors and fellow cafe patrons is a print artist and constantly refills the book shelf with trimmings from her art. As I completed the artwork on the two bits this morning, I looked over to the stack of coasters and found the perfect frame;-) This was fun!

&

Joey's challenge started this off with Spoken. I've only used this pattern once. My spokes were wonky and the spacing is off. I almost started over, but thought better of it. This isn't about perfection. Adele's challenge introduces Lily Moon's new pattern "Caracole" and "Mumsy". I've been wanting to play with Caracole and I had a feeling it was gonna show up here. I forget to use Mumsy, but I love it. This one came together much easier than usual. Thank goodness.  The fill patterns in the Spoken side were inspired by something I saw on Margaret Bremner's blog The Enthusiastic Artist.

I was also inspired to work my way through the box of tiles and ATC's, though I rarely use them anymore in my day to day drawing and Zentangle practice. Awhile back, I discovered a several sheets of super cool postage stamps tucked in a Goodwill book I bought ages ago. Serendipity? so, I made a bunch of Travelling Tangle starters, decorated a stack of random envelopes and mailed out some Happy Mail yesterday!
I want to make a Travelling Tangle Mail Art Journal. Stay tuned!


A few of my swap pals have asked about the backgrounds. Here are a couple of links:

my watercolor tutorial
Susan Rink Olsen's Art Tissue Paper technique
The blue soapy bubbles from this YouTube video


I have  a very large collection of mediocre and just darned ugly tiles from over the years. I never throw anything away.

Upcycling yucky old tiles...

...into mixed media envelopes...


...oh...I think not.


Thanks so much for stopping by. Your thoughtful and generous comments delight and inspire me!











19 comments:

  1. I always get overwhelmed as I visit your blog! So much fun and som much inspiration. Great work for Amanda´s day! Love it all and I find your collection of abandoned arty things very much like what I have in my boxes in my studio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita! Recycling those old tiles and envelopes is so much fun😉

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry that my commenting time has been virtually none existent lately but I wanted to drop you a quick line to say how much I enjoy seeing my challenges mixed with Adele's in your beloved sketchbook. I hoard anything paper too so I love seeing what you are doing with your accumulation! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week my favorite is your enchanting Amanda-day-tile! Your duotangle is a wonderful interpretation of the two challenges! And I like your recycling action very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your duo tangles. The Earth Day tile is an inspiration. I have a piece of cardboard cut out ready to do. I admire your reorganization. I need to do the same - thinking about downsizing the amount of supplies I have that I don't use. I'm not doing a lot of mixed media these days. Your blog articles are an inspiration - will try your way of watercolor prep. I like to have a stash on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! I keep telling myself to use what I've got. I've got a lot. Yet, yesterday I went to my neighborhood art store (going out of business) and bought more paint! sheesh!

      Delete
  5. You've done it again! I have a drawer full of stuff that just didn't work for me, for all sorts of reasons but can't be thrown away. And now you have shown me a use for them - as backgrounds for multi media artwork. You little star! And my craft room is desperately in need of a clear out too, so maybe now is the time. Thanks again for giving me the impetus to get going. Oh, yes, and, by the way, fabulous artwork!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww! Thanks Margaret 😉 finding those sheets of postage stamps was the best thing ever. I love sending art in the mail. Yeah... I got the background part covered for many journal pages and mail art to come😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful as always! Your upcycle project is way cool! The bubble color technique is my next big project yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! Yeah...those bubble tiles were fun 😉

      Delete
  8. Even though I’m very much aware that it’s gonna be lovely what I’m about to see when I go to your blog, you always surprise me with very pretty work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ilse! I truly appreciate your kind words;-)

      Delete
  9. I love how you put your Diva tile together! The 3 elements are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Michele! There is just so many treasures here for me to see!!! I love how your Diva tile serendipitously came together! And i love your Spoken! I think it's great that you are reviewing all your art supplies... maybe you'll find some pleasant surprises! I need to do this with all my quilting fabric!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much Deanne! The mixed media thing has really taught me not to be precious with things. It's crazy how much stuff I've hung onto;-)

    ReplyDelete